This is it, the dreaded F chord! Most beginner struggle with this one for a reason- it’s an improver/ intermediate level chord and very much a step up from basic open chords!
Top Five tips for the F BARRE CHORD!
- Use the side of your 1st finger (thumb parallel to the 1st finger)
- Use your thumb in open chords to build thumb muscle
- Train fingers 2, 3 & 4 separately
- Change chord just after beat 4
- Practice changing to common chords used with the F
Common chord changes to practice
- F barre to C
- F barre to G
- F to Am
More common changes
F tends to be found in songs in the key of C. The chords in the key of C include
C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am
Master the changes between all these chords to ensure you never struggle to change to the F bare chord ever again. This can take a month or two but do the right things and you’ll get it!