At the end of each Level, I’ll give you my recommended practice routine.
The following routine should last about 30 minutes. If you want to go on longer or can’t do the full 30 then PLEASE STILL PICK THE GUITAR UP. Even just 5 minutes a day is MUCH better than a mammoth 2 hour session once a week.
Practice Routine for Level 1 (30 minutes)
- Chord practice (Strum pick Strum) Continue to build your calluses, get your fingers changing between E, A and D chord shapes easily
- Rhythm practice, stay on 1 chord and practice the 8th strumming patterns, ideally with the drum loop provided in lesson 2
- Chord sequence’s- See my recommended chord sequences for Level 2
- Song practice. Take on only 1 or 2 at a time.
Remember- you NEED your practice to be focused and master basic skills you’ll rely on later.
So here are your goals for Level 1. But you will know which songs and genres appeal more to you, don’t fight that, just make sure you can do the following at each level
Level 2 goals
- Be able to play the chords from memory and have all possible changes solid (E, A and D)
- Be able to play any of the recommended chord sequences, and as a bonus- be able to make up your own
- Be able to play at least 5 songs from the list, and have a go at playing these along to the record. These can be 5 totally new songs, but it’s better to keep your favourites from previous levels too.